2. Café X, the first fully mechanized coffee shop in the US, opened this week in San Francisco. Instead of humans as baristas, this new café employs a Mitsubishi 6-axis industrial robot to make and deliver your favorite coffee concoction.
3. February starts tomorrow and with that comes baseball as pitchers and catchers begin reporting to their camps in Florida and Arizona in a couple of weeks. Speaking of baseball, the average life-span of a major-league baseball in a game is 5-7 pitches. In case you are interested, MLB spends $5.5 million per year just on baseballs.
4. I started reading the book ‘Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney’. One quote that hit me hard is this: “Don’t try to win every battle. While leaders need to be persistent and determined in the face of resistance, they also have to be flexible enough to fine-tune their vision at every step. The resisters might have very good reasons for opposing your plan, so listen to them carefully. You can’t fall on your sword for every issue, so it’s crucial to know when to let go and save your energy to fight another day. Ask yourself whether you’re fighting for a truly worthwhile goal or because you can’t admit you were wrong or you have to win, no matter what.”
5. Mark Johnson is a fan of professional golfer Sergio Garcia. For 206 straight days, he tweeted Sergio a message containing the same request: he wanted to be his caddie. On day 207, Garcia tweeted him back and said Johnson will be on the bag for the British Masters pro-am. There’s something to be said for persistence.
6. Golf + Super Bowl = Bets. Here are some actual wagers you can make before the big game on Sunday: Which will be higher –
- Phil Mickelson’s fourth-round score (Phoenix Open) or Patriots rushing yards
- Justin Thomas’s fourth-round score (Phoenix Open) or Julian Edelman’s receiving yards
- Tiger Woods’s fourth-round birdies (Dubai Desert Classic) or combined FGs in Super Bowl
7. Do you know the difference between a cemetery and a graveyard? A graveyard adjoins a church, whereas a cemetery does not. Now you know.
8. Saw this quote recently: “At the office, you don’t say, ‘If I just show up, the projects will get done and my clients will be happy.’ You work for it. In a true partnership, you have to put in the effort to make your partner happy.”
9. Don’t forget to watch Puppy Bowl XIII at 3:00 PM this Sunday on Animal Planet where team Fluff takes on Team Ruff. A couple of the key players, uh puppies, for each team are Lucky, Buttons and Parfait for team Fluff and Puddles, Stormy and Bizmark for team Ruff.
10. Even though the Patriots may be the most hated NFL team, a former player’s Super Bowl ring gave new life to 24 orphans in Thailand. I urge you to read this story about former Patriots player Jerod Cherry and how is sacrificial heart and servant's attitude helped those in need.
Have a great week everyone.