In my mind, a huge step for the country would be efforts to end a current epidemic: abortion. Since 1973, over 55 million children have been aborted (killed) - "legally". In New York City, 41% of pregnancies now end in abortion. In Philadelphia, a trial about an abortion doctor charged with murdering babies after they were born goes almost uncovered by the media. Only 12% of women included a physical problem with their health for wanting an abortion.
According to the Centers for Disease Control Abortion is defined as "the termination of pregnancy by the removal or expulsion from the uterus of a fetus or embryo prior to viability. The term abortion most commonly refers to the induced abortion of a human pregnancy. The most common surgical methods of induced abortion is by manual vacuum aspiration (MVA) which consists of removing the fetus or embryo, placenta, and membranes by suction using a manual syringe, while electric vacuum aspiration (EVA) uses an electric pump."
On average, women who chose abortions gave these three reasons:
• a baby would interfere with work, school or other responsibilities;
• they cannot afford a child
• they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner
The most telling stat for me is that 68% of all abortions are by women aged 18-29. This age group has made it through high school, college and is in the work force, so spare me the argument that the lack of education and money is the reason that women chose abortions.
It takes little courage to have the back of someone who is living in this country when they come out with a choice they make that is politically correct. However, it takes tremendous courage in this nation to have the backs of the unborn, which is considered politically incorrect.
- BELIEVE that through prayer, honest counseling and compassion, we can end the abortion epidemic in this nation
- ACT by praying to God that His Spirit will change people's hearts about abortion
- SERVE other like-minded pro-life citizens by standing firm with them about their beliefs
Thursday, May 02 is the National Day of Prayer. Please take some time to pray to God that you will have the strength to have the backs of:
• women who courageously decide to have their babies instead of going through with the abortion
• people who make a stand by becoming a voice for the unborn
• the unborn
Because I know that God is fair and just, I tremble for this nation because we are turning our backs on the unborn children. Here's hoping that the trend begins to turn.