…life in Baltimore seems to be getting back to normal after a week of civil unrest. I’ll leave it up to others to debate the reasons for the looting, demonstrations, destruction of properties and hatred toward the police. What you will find, after listening to these debates, is that its always someone else’s fault. The blame game is all you will hear. And, after the blame game runs its course, everyone and their brother will have a solution. These solutions will range from more money for housing, more education dollars are needed, less government intrusion, a change in leadership, less racism, putting the other political party in charge, or more laws…
…no one but myself was able to make me get healthier. Did I need a law to tell me to stop drinking sodas laced with sugar? No. My first step to recovery was taking responsibility that my poor diet and other factors caused my health issues. I had to come to the realization that I made myself overweight. It wasn’t because of a television ad or other sexy marketing telling me why I should drink soda in order to have fun. No, it was me and me alone. In order to get better, I had to do without some things that I enjoyed. But, through the pain, came the reward...
…in order for people to achieve the reward of a financially healthier and safer society, people must first examine themselves and come to the conclusion that, instead of looking to others or the government or a political party to help them out of poverty or out of a rough neighborhood. Look inward, instead of outward.
· Individuals must possess the desire to get better
· Individuals must have the willingness to pick themselves up
· Individuals must want to get educated and truly digest what they learned
· Individuals must be courageous and take responsibility for past actions
· Individuals must practice kindness toward others
· Individuals must stop blaming someone else for their ills
· Individuals must realize that they have the power of changing society when they band together to do what is right
· Individuals must be willing to take on leadership roles and say some things that aren’t politically correct or popular
· Individuals must not listen to those in charge who have lead them astray
· Individuals must be truthful
Like the political parties, organizations, movements, and community groups of today, everyone talks a good game, but no one wants to face the reality that INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITY must PRECEDE any ACTIONS taken. It doesn’t start with them. It all starts with you. There is an old saying that speaks volumes to me: physician heal thy self. You were born for a reason at this moment. At this time. In this country. You are reading this blog post for a reason. You matter. You can begin the winds of change and restoration.
And when you get scared about facing some harsh truths or standing against the status quo, keeping reading this verse to gain strength and to receive comfort: “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
BELIEVE.ACT.SERVE, like JESUS did.
Reedy is (getting) Ready