2. Did you know that it takes:
· 270 cocoa beans to make one pound of chocolate?
· One gallon of water to grow one almond?
· 42 gallons of oil to produce 19 gallons of gasoline?
· 24 ounces of cotton to make one pair of jeans?
· The average chicken 25 hours to lay one egg?
3. Who said, “…so shines a good deed in a weary world.” (answer below)
4. Gov. Wolf recently placed a moratorium on the death penalty in Pennsylvania until he receives and reviews a forthcoming report on the death penalty from the Pennsylvania Task Force and Advisory Committee on Capital Punishment. Although there are over 200 inmates on death row, PA has only carried out three executions since 1976, the last being in 1999 – has there been an unwritten moratorium in effect for the past 16 years? In this week’s “Courage and Kindness”, I will give you my thoughts on Capital Punishment from my Christian perspective.
5. “Therefore, I implore you to walk in a manner worthy of this calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love.” Ephesians 4:1-2.
6. One of my fondest memories of growing up was sitting on my grandfather’s front porch and listening to baseball games via the radio, which is still my preferred method to this day. I read a Denver Post story called, “Two Blind Rockies fans love a game they can’t see.” The article talks about Mark and Peggy LoRusso, married for 30 years, who sit in the front row of baseball games and can’t see a thing. They watch the game with their other senses of smell, sound and touch. Click here to read about their story (it has a Pennsylvania twist to it).
7. Jeb Bush announced that he is running for President – the 11th to enter the race. Did you know that Jeb is an acronym for his real name: John Ellis Bush?
8. I’m looking for 71 other people to join me for golf in Fiji. The private island of Laucala promises privacy and exclusivity when playing its 18-hole championship course. For a mere $150,000 a day, we all would get “free golf and accommodations. I’m thinking that we could go for a weekend, Friday to Sunday. Two nights would cost us each $4,166.67 plus food, drinks and air fare. Who’s in?
9. During the 1920s and 30’s, a movement in New York City tried to scrap Mother’s Day and Father’s Day and form one holiday called Parent’s Day because “both parents should be loved and respected together.” However, during the depression, struggling retailers thwarted this movement in order to make Father’s Day (started in 1910 in the state of Washington) a second Christmas for men. Fully recognized as a holiday in 1972 by President Nixon, Americans spend $1 billion annually on Father’s Day.
10. Show of hands. How many of you just built the complete mouse trap on the board in the game of Mousetrap instead of actually playing the game?
Answer to #3 above: Willie Wonka in the movie "Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory" to Charlie Bucket, upon Charlie's return of the Everlasting Gobstopper.
Believe.Act.Serve, like Jesus did.
Reedy is Ready…Are you Ready for Reedy?
New Republican leadership is needed. The Future is Now.