2. Republican Cong. Mark Meadows was stripped of his subcommittee chairmanship last week because he went against Speaker of the House John Boehner in a procedural type of vote. When do you know when leaders are fearful of the opposition? When they begin to prune the trees so-to-speak. Does the phrase "do what your told or else" come to mind? For this reason, challenging the status quo is difficult ---- but needed at times.
3. Pennsylvania has 134 craft breweries in the nation, which ranks 6th in the nation. I still don't know the difference between a micro-brewery and a craft brewery. In other beer news, The Duquesne Brewing Company in Pittsburgh will soon begin rolling out a new beer in August - a Vienna style lager - honoring Penn State legendary coach Joe Paterno.
4. Have you heard this before, "every state legislator, senator or Congressman should be voted out of office", however when it comes to voting out your own representative, it rarely, if ever, happens. The main reason often cited is "I like my representative, but the rest of them are bums." To me, the real reason this happens is because both political parties discourage anyone from challenging an incumbent and will make it difficult for anyone who even thinks about challenging an incumbent.
5. A Galapagos Tortoise named Speed was euthanized on June 19 at the San Diego zoo because as the zoo announced, "he was in geriatric decline for some time." A resident at the zoo since 1933, Speed was believed to be more than 150 years old, although how can anyone know how to tell a tortoise's age? Sea Turtle Crush in the movie Finding Nemo told Marlin the clown fish that Sea Turtles live to be more than 150 years old; so therefore, the zoo must correct.
6. So now I read that liquor privatization (aka: no more state stores) is a hot topic for the GOP in Harrisburg. All I ask is, why now? They had 4 years under Gov. Corbett, but did virtually nothing with this issue. Come to think of it, they could have passed other legislation such as pension reform. It seems that it is easier to blame holding up the budget on a key issue that the GOP knows is important to democrats? Hey both parties - why not solve those issues that you agree on and then start attacking -- one by one - the issues that you differ? I guess I am just too naïve. And, as someone once told me, "Tim. You can't criticize because you just don't understand the inner workings of how deals get done." I guess I will just take my toys and go home.
7. Jordan Spieth, the 21 year old golfer from Dallas, TX, won his second straight major - the US Open, on Sunday. After the win, he first hugged his parents and family members. Jordan beat Dustin Johnson, who missed a short putt on the 18th hole to advance to a playoff. As Dustin was walking off the green, he picked up and held his new born child and walked with his fiancé to the scorer's tent. In life's joys and heartaches, it is families who should be there first to celebrate and provide comfort.
8. Speaking of joy...a good leader should think of the word JOY as an acronym whether they are in charge of a company, a committee chair or the supervisor in a non-profit organization: be like Jesus and serve Others before Yourself. #leaderseatlast
9. On the drive home last night, my two girls were talking about the fireflies flying about the fields. My wife recounted a story from her childhood when she would capture the fireflies (lightening bugs back in the day) for scientific research. She would receive a special house for the fireflies in the mail, put them in that container and then ship them off to the lab for study. In return, she would get a little spending money from the laboratory. I, for one, never did this growing up. Anyone else have this experience?
10. I was the focus of a tough love conversation last evening (at my invitation) with some men that I respect and admire. While I have decided to take their advice, it is nonetheless like taking bad tasting medicine - you hate to take it, but it is the right thing to do at that moment. Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the plans I have for you. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."