2. If you are feeling out of whack after the three day holiday weekend, it may be because you are suffering from "social jet lag". According to web MD, social jet lag is brought on by "the shift in sleep schedule that many people experience on their days off, compared to work days." As a result, many people get more sleep on their days off than they do during the week, which throws their body out of whack. So therefore, if you are feeling sluggish, call off sick and tell your boss that you have social jet lag.
3. Bad news for me: I don't qualify to become a Disney Princess at Walt Disney World. Below are just some of the requirements. Do you qualify? If you do, go to www.disneyauditions.com and sign up.
- Must be a female - I'm a male
- Must be between 5'4" and 5'7" - I'm 6'0"
- Must be between the ages of 18 and 26 - I'm in my late 40s.
- The largest dress size you can wear is a size 10 (size 10 = men's waist size 30) - I'm not a 30 waist
- Must know how to apply make-up - Does after shave cream count?
- Must be able to stand outside and smile constantly in the Florida heat - Smile yes. Constantly? Would be tough.
- If selected, you cannot tell anyone what princess you portray - My wife says I can't keep secrets
- If selected, you cannot choose what princess to portray as Disney will tell you which one you will be - I'm OK with this one.
4. Many people are fascinated with outer space because they are seeking life on another planets. Why is it when that these same people will not call a baby, a fetus or a bunch of cells in a woman's belly - "life" - but they will quickly say that life could exist on a planet that may contain favorable conditions for its existence?
5. We are in day 69 of no state budget here in PA. The talk now among the leadership is to pass a stop-gap funding resolution that would appropriate monies for schools and human services agencies among others. I would vote no for this type of resolution because 1) this will create the concept that budgets aren't needed, only resolutions to keep government monies flowing, 2) even if a stop-gap expiration is in place, the deadline will come, which will force another resolution, and 3) the core issues of the budget will no be addressed such as education funding, taxes, and the unfunded pension liability. The "kick the can" mentality of continuing resolutions is becoming the norm in Washington where no real budget exists and I do not want to see the Commonwealth of PA succumb to Washington D.C.'s tired thinking.
6. I wonder if Donald Trump is saying to himself, "Oh my. I might really become the President. I just got into this race for something to do to promote myself and businesses." Now that the summer of Trump is over, will the Autumn be the fall of The Donald? One thing is clear --- voters seem to favor those who have never been in office before.
7. Now that Labor Day is gone, the big question is can I continue to wear white? Originally only applying to shoes, this fashion trend morphed into other articles of clothing. While no one really can pin point where it started, most agree that it wearing white or lighter color clothes in the fall and winter will not keep you warm, not to mention white shows the dirt. Some agree that high society back in the 1940's and 50s designated the "no white after Labor Day" motto in order to tell those they deemed less important how to dress. Whatever the case, my fashion is dictated by my wife and my daughter Gracie who will not let me leave the house in such as way as to embarrass them.
8. 1 Corinthians 12: 17-20: "If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body." The best teams don't have people with similar skills. The best teams are made up of diverse backgrounds and talents from a pool of people who appreciate the gifts that each one brings to the table. Members on these teams know their roles and appreciate the others, even if they disagree on some things.
9. The three top GOP Presidential candidates have never held public office and yet, they are leading the polls. One reason I believe that they are in vogue is that voters are upset that politicians surround themselves with people they are beholden to (i.e. lobbyists, campaign contributors expecting a lot in return) instead of people who come together to solve problems. Politicians today in all levels succumb to special interests in favor of actually solving problems facing the government. Before you vote for a candidate, take a look at his/her team -- are they people of differing backgrounds who want to serve the public or are they only interested in helping themselves financially and politically? The ones who want to help themselves financially will defend their candidate to keep them in power, while the ones who believe in the candidate's vision of serving others, will defend their solutions.
10. I'm picking the Dallas Cowboys to win the Super Bowl this year. Although, I pick them every year. I do love this time of year --- Thursday night college games, followed by Friday Night Lights, Saturday College contests and Sunday Pro Football games make for a nice transition from the heat of summer into the cold of winter.
Have a wonderful week.