2. I certainly understand the outcry to cease federally funding planned parenthood. Aside from the selling of body parts from aborted babies, planned parenthood does not provide any mammograms to clients on site and only refers them to FDA licensed centers for screenings. While it pains me that my federal tax dollars are used to fund abortions, I also believe that maybe we should first stop federally funding or even closing those PP centers that sell the parts. Isn't this a place where both opposing side can agree and start the dialogue. Unfortunately, like so many things, its all or nothing.
3. More body part news...two men in China contacted someone on the internet in order to facilitate the selling of their kidneys for money that they desperately needed. After going to the hospital for a kidney pre-screeing, both of them got cold feet and left the hospital before any examinations took place. By the way, the reason that they needed money was to purchase the new iPhone 6s.
4. Still more body part news...a 36-year old married father of two in Great Britain, after a night of drinking and urging of friends, took a Viagra pill. After an hour, one pill turned in 34 more. Yes, he took 35. When he went home, he complained of a headache and stomach pain, which prompted his wife to call an ambulance. He eventually spent 36 hours in the hospital, came home and then spent the next 3 and a half days in bed. After 4 days, his stomach pain and headache went away. However, his erection didn't, which subsided after day five. Although his wife refused sex during those 5 days, I am happy to report that things are back to normal with his body and in his marriage.
5. Food for thought from Comedian Steven Wright: "Why doesn't the world's fattest man become a hockey goalie?"
6. The St. Louis Rams have the youngest team in the NFL at age 24.1 years. As coach Jeff Fisher out it, "Our players learn better with two phone and music going on and with an iPad on the side." This new learning prompted the Rams during training camp to bring in consultants to teach the older coaches how to teach these millennial athletes. The consultants informed the Rams' brass that with 20-somethings, their attention spans are short, but they are savvier than ever due to their exposure to technology. Also, these youngsters need to know the "why" behind every decision made by their elders. This "why" forced the coaches and executives to examine their methods (i.e. why are we doing this?). One sweeping change that the Rams made was to shorten the length of meetings from hours to 10-15 minutes. Then, immediately after the 15 minute meeting, the players were ushered to the practice field to walk through what they just learned. Most of all, the Rams are using more visuals in order to teach concepts such as showing them a play via a video rather than the traditional X's and O's on the chalkboard. Something must be working because the Rams beat the Seahawks on Sunday.
7. My wife and kids tried to teach me the new dance craze "Whip Nae Nae". Fortunately, no video was taken. And no, I wasn't hurt too bad, except for a little creak in my neck. I am listed as day-to-day on the injury report.
8. "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value other above yourself." Philippians 2:3. "Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited." Romans 12:16. "When pride comes, then comes disgrace. But with humility comes wisdom." Proverbs 11:2. Striving for humility is a life-long journey for me. However, I never want to say that I have attained total humility because then I would be boastful and prideful in saying that I am humble.
9. The verses I listed in number 7 describe some of the qualities that I look for in candidates for office. Most importantly, these are qualities that I strive to attain. As I read these verses and evaluate the Republican candidates who are at the top of the polls, Dr. Ben Carson seems to exemplify these qualities, while Donald Trump seems to be the antithesis of them. One can be humble and have strength. And as Dr. Carson said recently, "you don't have to be loud to be energetic."
10. "I've always found that anything worth achieving will always have obstacles in the way and you've got to have that drive and determination to overcome those obstacles on route to whatever it is that you want to accomplish." Chuck Norris
Have a great week everyone.
Expect More from YOUR Government.