2. Ever since announcing that I am running in the Republican primary for the PA House – District 37, I have been overwhelmed by the positive support that I have received from people that I do not even know. Often, people will come up to me in restaurants, stores or on the street and tell me that they want me in Harrisburg to help end the infighting, which I believe is accomplished by having both sides of the aisle solve those issues first that common ground is found.
3. Basketball superstar Kobe Bryant announced that the 2015-2016 NBA season will be his final one after playing his entire storied career for the Lakers. I marvel at athletes like him who, despite their natural abilities, still maintained a strict training regimen in order to sustain those skills. Above all else though, he was an athlete who entertained his fans night in and night and parlayed that into earning $680 million. Unfortunately, no one will complain about how much money he made, but people often complain about how much CEOs and other business leaders earn. Sadly, this is the country we live in – entertainers seem to be more valued.
4. Through the first five months of this year, the readers of the Lancaster Newspapers graded the PA Legislature. The results of that grade are below. Keep in mind that this was before the budget impasse started, which is now in day #153:
- Transparency: C
- Education: C
- Spending: C
- Taxes: D
- Pension Reform: C
- Overall Grade: C-
5. The latest Rocky movie “Creed” is now theaters where Rocky Balboa trains his former nemesis’ son. Rocky 1 began in 1976 and “Creed” is the 7th installment of this franchise. Is there anything better than seeing Rocky running through the streets of Philadelphia while the song “Gonna Fly Now” plays?
6. With all of the talk about education funding in PA, I thought I would cite the language in the PA Constitution that requires this funding: Article III (Legislation), A. Procedure, Public School System, Section 14: “The General Assembly shall provide for the maintenance and support of a thorough and efficient system of public education to serve the needs of the Commonwealth.”
7. I’ve been reading a lot recently about the war on Christmas in today’s society. Yes, commercialism has watered down and probably has supplanted the true meaning of Christmas – celebrating the birth of Jesus – with the quest for presents. For those Christians who get angry at this notion, please stop complaining and start showing Christ’s love for others.
8. A familiar Gospel song says, “It only takes a spark to get a fire going”. You can be that spark to returning the true meaning of Christmas to society and here’s how. The next time someone says to you “Happy Holidays” respond by smiling and saying “Merry Christmas” back to them. Let God do the rest. Bottom line is this: change your attitude before trying to force others to change theirs.
9. Continuing with the Christmas theme, my wife Tina started decorating the house for Christmas this past weekend. As she says, “I love Christmas and I love decorating.” She is about half done but already I can say that she has truly outdone herself this year. Nice job honey!
10. “Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for the truth.” Edmund Burke. When I begin campaigning in earnest in January, no one will ever accuse me of not being passionate about my ideals, principles and solutions. #lookoutGOP
Have a great week everyone.