2. I read a blog recently where the author said that around this time of year, he picks one word as his word for the year. As I approach 2016, I have chosen the word PERSEVERE as my word of the year.
3. Four minutes after arriving at the parked Toyota Camry alongside the Garden State Parkway, NJ State Police Sergeant, Sean Boag helped deliver a baby girl. Boag said: 'I told her to push. 'A couple more pushes, we were able to pull the baby all the way out…” No word if the baby’s middle name will be named Sean or Boag by the happy and grateful parents.
4. While I saw the first Star wars movie in 1977 and the subsequent two sequels, I never watched episodes 1, 2 or 3. And as such, I just don’t get the hype for the latest in this series being released on Friday – The Force Awakens. Who waits outside of a theater for weeks in order to see a movie on the first day?
5. According to Harvard's Institute of Politics, 48% of 18- to 29-year-olds surveyed said that they considered the American dream dead. This poll alarms me and it should you. Among other reasons, I am running for the PA House in hopes of convincing this age group that their dreams are not dead and that the future of PA –good or bad - is dependent on them.
6. For the first time in the Kingdom’s history, four women in Saudi Arabia were elected to municipal councils in Mecca, Jawf and Tabuk after a ban on women taking part in the elections was lifted. While women in Saudi Arabia face many curbs in public life, including driving, I remain hopeful that more rights will be afforded to them. This election was a step in the right direction.
7. In a bid to show his constituents how determined he is, Chen Mao-chi who is running for a seat in Taiwan’s Parliament, jumped through a ring of fire. He completed this stunt three times with the audience clapping each time he successfully made it through without getting burned. Personal note to my campaign manager – “Don’t even think about asking me to do this.”
8. In a recent meeting with the Commissioner of Baseball, where Pete Rose asked to be reinstated into baseball, he admitted that he still bets on professional sports. During the interview, he initially denied that he bets on baseball only to clarify his response later in the same interview admitting that he still in fact bets on baseball. So, he lied. Again.
9. A former Apple employee who worked with Steve Jobs for 13 years had this to say about him: “Steve believed everyone has the potential for greatness. He expected greatness no matter what your role at Apple. He was frustrated with people he felt were underachievers of their own greatness that got him riled. He was a genius who had the humility to ask for clarity if he didn’t get it.”
10. Someone once told me that compromise should be prevalent in a marriage, in a business dispute or in other situations where an agreement must be reached. However, in Pennsylvania, the word compromise – at least as it pertains to the budget – is an ugly word.
Have a great week everyone